Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Research

Research is definitely not my favourite thing to do. I don’t like trying to find out something new. And I sure don’t like writing long reports. Give me equations and a problem to solve and I’m happy.

But after my first couple weeks of work this summer, I have a much deeper appreciation for researchers. Some guy named Broms developed equations that I needed to use for the bending of drilled shaft foundations in different types of soil. Another guy named Meyerhof came up with an empirical equation for the bearing capacity of cohesionless soil so I didn’t have to go through a whole bunch of theoretical calculations with variables I don’t know. Where would I be without these guys?

1 comment:

  1. Do you do driveways??? could use your expertise and muscles right now.

    M.U.M.

    ReplyDelete