Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Friday on the Job

Going out to random bridges around the city is usually lonely. Ok not usually, always. But on Friday I had a little bit of an interesting day. After taking care of some paperwork in the office, I set out to inspect 4 bridges near the University.

The first bridge was on Crowchild by 9th Ave. I got honked at twice. It could have been to scare me. Or could have been the hot orange vest I wear!

The second bridge was on Crowchild too but by 14th Ave. Some homeless guy carrying a garbage bag full of recycleables asked me if I was a mechanical engineer. I said no, civil, and he proceeded to tell me about his experience in the oil patch (or something. I didn't really understand him. He was using big words.) and I continued to said o wow, I see, uh huh. Then he launched into another story about how he was sleeping off some beers on a park bench downtown and some policemen came and gave him a $250 ticket for loitering, and a $150 ticket for alcohol possesion, and some other stuff and how the police in Calgary are way more aggressive than in Vancouver or anywhere else. I got a little freaked out to be honest, but eventually he went away.

The third bridge was the pedestrian bridge at the University LRT station. There I saw my old roommate's horrible religion studies teacher. I went to some of her classes and and ended up arguing with him about whether or not Jesus was learned.

The fourth bridge was a really small timber one in University Park. I walked up the path to it (again in my sweet orange vest) and two older ladies had just crossed it with their little dog. I did the inspection and went back to my car but then realized I didn't take any pictures so I decided to go back, and here were these same ladies just crossing the bridge again!

So that was the day.

O ya, and in case you're interested. We've conditionally bought a house.

Laura.

4 comments:

  1. that's good about your house whree is it?
    shelby

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me know if you need help movng or anything k? btw text me sometime! we hae to hang out more..

    ReplyDelete